My Album of 2012 is . . . . .

After spending a lot of time pondering the question “What is my favourite album of 2012?”, I always found myself coming back to the same answer over and over again:

Home Again by Michael Kiwanuka

This album first grabbed my attention after hearing the track “I’m getting ready”.  I still remember the first time I heard the track and feeling blown away by Michael’s voice, he has a classic soul tone that is WOW!  Regular readers know that as a child I was raised with the music of Motown, so I will always have a soft spot for soul music. Michael’s voice reminded me of some of my favourites like Marvin Gaye, Al Green and the great Otis Redding. He is one of a few artists who have captured that classic soul tone and with me, it will always be a hit.  This album has been out since March, but I have to be honest, nothing else seems to measure up to the magic that this album produces. 

The album itself is a relaxing soulful folk journey that is such a pleasure to listen to.  With great lyrics, music that soothes and vocals that captivate, how can you not fall for this album?  All these pieces fit together to create a vintage sound that I know will become a classic in my collection.  There are many great tracks to choose from, which is one of the many reasons I chose this from my album of 2012.  As well as my favourite “I’m Getting Ready” I highly recommend you checking out “Bones” and “I Won’t Lie”, all so good!  I would also recommend getting the deluxe version of the album “Home Again” as you get an extra 3 new tracks as well as 2 alternative versions of songs from main album.  The track “They say I’m doing just fine” is worth paying the extra money for out on its own, but I do feel it should have been good enough to be on the album.  THIS ALBUM NEEDS TO BE IN YOUR COLLECTION!

So this is my choice for 2012, feel free to share your recommendation as I am always looking for new music.  Looking forward to next year and finding that gem that will become my album of 2013!